Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Anti-bacterial Soaps and Cleaners
Stop before you leap onto the antibacterial soap band wagon. First of all, most germs only live an hour or so on most surfaces. Definitely wash your hands after using the restroom or wash frequently if someone in your home is ill. Just don't use antibacterial soaps. Why? Because the chemicals used to kill the germs are more toxic to your body than the germs. Many of them have been linked to cancer.
Remember a dime size patch of skin contains millions of cells. Those cells absorb everything you put on your body where it hitches a ride throughout your body courtesy of your blood cells. Thus antibacterial soaps likewise absorb into your body through those cells. Once inside they continue to do their job of killing bacteria both good and bad. Our bodies need the balance of good and bad bacteria to stay healthy. Killing them throws your body off balance and could lead to serious illness.
The same holds true for using antibacterial cleaners on surfaces. If a surface has come into contact with raw food like egg, meat, or milk then it should be disinfected. Disinfect it first with 3% hydrogen peroxide then a 50/50 solution of water to vinegar. This combo is far more effective than bleach and it certainly won't destroy your health like chlorine. Other than that disinfecting a surface on a regular basis actually introduces more harmful toxins into your home than the germs. Stop to think a minute - how did the germs get onto your floor? Probably from you walking on them - right? Do you disinfect your feet? No? Then why do you need disinfectants on your floors?
This article may only be reprinted giving credit to Mary Findley and her website at www.goclean.com. Copyright @2008 worldwide.